Saturday, July 18, 2009

Big Chaotic Rooms

My kitchen is chaos!:


Yesterday kind of felt like a tornado touched down in my house. Somehow, in all the confusion and work, we scheduled the movers and the contractors who will be redoing the kitchen (more on that later) and the cable dude and the gas guy to all arrive between the hours of 8 and 11.

For a while it was just yelling as cries of "where do you want this?" and "Ma'am where's your meter?" echoed through the house.

In the middle of it the washer dryer installation crew arrived, installed the washer and dryer and left. It took me maybe 20 minutes to notice we had a washer and dryer.

Finally my husband's cousin arrived with two dogs, which was briefly more chaotic and then much, much better as she had also brought us lunch. Not sure how we would have gotten lunch otherwise.

The remainder of the day was taken up with opening boxes, each one like a cracker jack prize.

Oh, you think, I can put some dishes away. You open a box labeled dishes and get....sneakers!

Maybe I can play a game to decrease stress, you think. But where is the box with the games? Looking for it makes you stressed. You are screwed until you unpack everything.

Thankfully our friends- yes, the same ones we stayed with until the floors were done, came over and unpacked a bunch of stuff and arranged our furniture so now it just looks like we are really really messy instead of looking like the movers were actually robbers and we were never going to have any stuff.

The putting away of stuff actually stresses me out way more than the cleaning. It's a type A thing. I just can't do a thing until I finish the first thing. So everything room has to be perfect, then I can carefully place a perfect object in it and admire it.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Better to give up now and enjoy the simple things- like how nice it was to sleep in my old bed last night.

2 comments:

  1. Um...but when we visit, we'll get to eat off the plates instead of the sneakers, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get your choice of sneakers. Normally we eat off the trainers but nice guests like you can have the sketchers if you want.

    ReplyDelete